This PlugIn is designed as a demuxing/decoding enhancement for Harmonic’s (Rhozet) „Carbon Coder”. While Carbon reads many video file formats you’ve certainly faced the situation that Carbon refuses a certain type of formats. This problem is addressed by our importer plugin via a generic demuxing/decoding engine that reads nearly any known professional, semi-professional or consumer video file format. So far there are no files know that it can not make available for transcoding with Carbon.
This importer plugIn aims to support all formats (codecs and containers) that for instance FFMPEG would support. The most important are:
- AVCHD in MXF (and other containers)
- webm (any applicable codec)
- mkv (any applicable codec)
Furthermore it addresses certain bugs and weaknesses in Carbons original importers:
- correct color space (especially for *.mov)
- frame accurate for nearly any video file format
- does potentially fix various hang and crash bugs (e.g. caused by internal scaler)
- video preview and in/out points for formats where Carbon doesn’t support it ( e.g. *.ts)
- much faster demuxing/decoding for certain formats, e.g. *.mov
- potentially higher quality for up and downscaling
Last but not least it allows to replace the Quicktime player as *.mov importer.